ExAblate Neuro - Focused Ultrasound Neurosurgery
- Learn about MR guided Focused Ultrasound Technology.
- Read aboutEssential Tremor, Neuropathic pain and Parkinson's disease.
- Learn about ongoing clinical trials for the treatment of movement disorders.
- Stroke and targeted drug delivery are being evaluated in pre-clinical studies.
- Download a brochure about transcranial focused ultrasound guided by MRI
ExAblate Neuro Received CE Marking
Benefits of Focused Ultrasound NeurosurgeryThe benefits of using high intensity focused ultrasound for precision lesioning in the brain have been understood for many years and were researched by early pioneers. However, the need for a craniotomy and the absence of imaging technologies to visualize the anatomy within the skull delayed its development. For decades, therapeutic ultrasound through an intact skull was considered impossible due to disruption of the focused acoustic beam and skull heating.
ExAblate Neuro, pioneered by InSightec, combines MR imaging and focused ultrasound into MR guided Focused Ultrasound technology, and provides a transcranial, non-invasive image-guided personalized treatment modality with no incisions and with no ionizing radiation.
This combination of continuous MR imaging and very highly focused acoustic soundwaves provides the ability to provide pinpoint precision treatment at the planned target, without causing damage to any of the normal surrounding tissue.
• Non-invasive, incisionless, and bloodless- without bur holes or penetrating electrodes, reducing the risks of hemorrhage and infections. Since the skull remains intact there is no shifting of any tissues or neural structures within the brain. Also, since no hardware is implanted, there is no electromagnetic noise interference, no need for programming follow-up or battery replacement or device management.
• No ionizing radiation, with no risk of toxicity or accumulated dose effects. Treatments may be repeated,or may be staged as the disease progresses.
• Highly accurate localized damage improves outcomes and limits effects to target tissue
How Does ExAblate Neuro Work for the Treatment of Brain Disorders?
The ExAblate Neuro system integrates magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and high intensity focused ultrasound to provide a non-invasive, image-guided personalized treatment of brain disorders through an intact skull with no ionizing radiation.
See here n the right-hand side a presentation at the US National Institute of health by Dr. Jeff EliasExAblate Neuro uses intra-operative MRI for therapy planning, and continuous real-time MR thermal imaging feedback for monitoring safety and efficacy. The targeted tissue within the brain is ablated with high intensity acoustic ultrasound waves using a helmet-like, multi-channel high powered phased array transducer placed on the patient’s head. (Please see animation on the right)
ExAblate delivers a pulse of focused ultrasound energy, called a sonication, to the targeted tissue.
Treatment planning begins with the acquisition of multi- dimensional MR images to identify the location and shape lesion to be created.
MR guided Focused Ultrasound for brain and central nervous system disorders has been recognized as an exciting and groundbreaking technology in neurosurgery . It is rapidly evolving with many potential indications including the ability to treat disorders that were previously challenging as well as opening avenues for novel applications. (Bradley 2011)